Sunday, April 20, 2008

One for the "bucket list"...

I rode in a Hummer tonight.

And not just ANY old Hummer. It was a loooong black Hummer limo. Complete with champagne.

Through the generosity of a dear lady whom I'm privileged to call "friend", I attended a fundraiser event tonight for an elite Catholic high school...the high school Bret Favre attended. It was pretty amazing. Food was provided by around 70 local restaurants (NOT the McD/Taco Bell type!) and it was all delicious--we wandered around for an hour, sampling some of the Gulf Coast's best food (Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, for example).

There was a really good band playing, several bars set up around the yard/pool, a huge silent auction and (we left too soon), a very large fireworks display--I wish we could have stayed for that!

Some serious money was spent tonight...and I'm sure some really serious money was pouring in. Makes porkburger sales look pretty pitiful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, how did all that feel?

Dena G said...

It felt surreal. Alien. Very NOT like my world at all. I guess it was a nice place to visit, but all I kept thinking was "some of these people actually LIVE like this all the time".

I just kept thinking of how much everything cost. I sampled food from probably 20 different places and I know how expensive some of those restaurants are...it's just staggering to imagine the total dollar value of what was consumed there last night, not to mention what went into the garbage cans.

There were at least 3 full-service bars...absolutely jam-packed all the time. And at least 4 bars/adult beverage stores were represented in the food tent, in addition to the champagne in the limousine. ALL of this was included in the ticket price (I have no idea how much tickets cost).

I would love to have even 10% of that money...I could feed a lot of hungry people.

We visited a friend today who lives in his van with his dog...what a contrast.

Makes you stop and think. And realize all that's out of balance in the world.