Sunday, July 06, 2008

My very own Clark Griswold moment...



This is one of my favorite moments from National Lampoon's "Christmas Vacation"...after the kicking-the-Santa-and-punching-the-reindeer temper tantrum, Clark tries ONE LAST TIME to light the thousands of lights he's stapled to his roof. He slams the plug into the outlet with every ounce of strength he has...and the lights come on.

I don't have thousands of lights on my roof (I'm a Griswold in name only, thank you very much!), but I DO have a new, supposedly top-of-the-line HP photo printer that has caused me so much frustration by not printing even 1/10 as well as my 8 year-old cheapy DeskJet. Even set on "best quality print", the printer would print a photo in about 1.5 seconds...horrible quality, horrible color, huge banding--all my prints looked like bad cartoons. I've done every "fix" possible...and nothing's worked, not even the fixes other people have used on the same printer model with the same non-compatibility with XP drivers issues. GRRRR. I was pretty much ready to list it on eBay and go back to my junky little antique.

But I tried one last combo of "fixes" today and, with every expectation that the results would be the same, hit the button to print a test page. And I immediately heard the difference. S-L-O-W feed of the paper through the printer. Steady, even, concentrated dispersal of ink. And the finished product? Absolutely breath-takingly perfect. Exactly what I knew this printer could do.

You can call me Clark Griswold today and I won't even mind.

1 comment:

NFB in NYC said...

Yay! I remember the last time I was at your house I saw that bohemith printer sitting by your desk and you told me it was soon going in the trash. So glad you FINALLY got it working!

I found the post prior regarding your broken cell phone absolutely hilarious. Pictures say a thousand words..that one perhaps 2 thousand.

That is(was) a fantastic phone. I recently upgraded to the env2, and still have that phone sitting in my drawer as a backup. I will warn you though, I once made the switch from LG to Motorola and it wasn't long til I was back with LG. They are just damn good phones.