Thursday, December 11, 2008

Hiatus not of my choosing...

Aside from the usual flurry of pre-Christmas activity, I've been plagued with a horrible cold that sidelined me for several days last week and has now turned into bronchitis. Per doctor's orders, I've been lying on the couch, doing NOTHING but resting, taking my meds and drinking gallons of water, addressing Christmas cards, and watching Season 2 of The Office.

I'm going to be out of town this weekend and I'm having a party at my house Monday night. Oh, well. I normally do a big thing for the Girls' Game Night Christmas party. Not this year. I'm thinking pizza. Or something else I can order from somewhere. The cooking thing is just not happening. This is a challenge for me--I've been spouting off about Christmas being more about spending time with our loved ones and less time/money on the insanity...now I get to put that into practice for real and all the little "Martha Stewart" cells in me are screaming in horror. Serves me right, eh? ;-)

Back to The Office. What a strange show. I can't honestly say I "like" it, but I'm drawn with a weirdly morbid fascination to each episode--I can't quit watching it. And I've even laughed out loud (well, as "out loud" as someone with bronchitis and laryngitis CAN laugh, that is!) a few times tonight. At the strangest things. Probably because it's a strange show and I'm...well, a little eccentric myself. I'm glad I finally gave into the pressure of my peers.

I'm working on a couple of posts that I hope to finish in the not-too-distant future. A man I deeply admired died last week and his death and funeral and the gaping crater he's left in the lives of many have affected me profoundly. God is challenging me to (even though I could never fill his shoes) step up to the plate and be what I profess to be. Not sure what that's going to look like right now.

The Griswold Family Christmas Tree in my living room (well, it's actually just a little Fraser Fir) either has the infamous squirrel hiding in it or an ornament is slipping off its branch--I hear strange noises emerging from it and the cat is sleeping peacefully on the back of the couch. Yep. The ornament just crashed to the floor. Good thing nothing is breakable on my tree.

And that's pretty much the scope of my wisdom for tonight. Too much "stuff" in my head for much deep thought.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I am sorry for your loss of the man you deeply cared about and loved. Its always sad to lose someone who impacted your life so greatly, but am thankful you are wanting to step up to the plate and be what you need right now in life for them or your family. I am wishing you good wishes of better health and hope that you don't see that crazy little squirrel from the Griswold tree. hahaa I loved that scene. It made me think about the squirrel I was looking at today through the window in a hallway at school which was searching through the dead leaves for food left behind by other college students or some other tiny morsel of food it eats. It was all fluffy and big, as if it storing up some fat for winter. About a few seconds later, another squirrel came by and chased it away when it saw some food being uncovered. I cracked up at those nervous manners made by the squirrels I was watching. Anyways, keeping you in my thoughts and prayers...have a wonderful weekend ahead.

Anonymous said...

I *love* The Office. But I know that humor is not for everyone. My aunt used the word "pathos" to describe that show and its humor. I asked her what she meant (she's in television, so I figured it was some fancy showbiz term or something). She just said "sad." I guess that pretty much sums it up! The show is painful, and so many of the characters are just sad, and yet I cannot tear myself away (or keep from laughing until my sides hurt). Anyway, I'm always happy to hear that someone else has gained an appreciation for something that I love as much as The Office :)

Geoff said...

Though there isn't much worse than being in a total sinus fog that dulls your senses and quickly defeats any attempt at higher thought or reasoning, I've found that some of my most creative moments come when I've attempted to combat my glazed-over, not quite human, sinus fog by pumping my system full of fistfulls of various OTC medication. I wonder why that could be...

Dena G said...

E--I'm SO glad I suffered through Season 1 and semi-suffered through Season 2. I'm in the middle of Season 3 right now and I can't believe how much I've been laughing (I don't even LIKE sitcoms). I have bronchitis/laryngitis and it's killing me to laugh, but I can't tear myself away from it.

I'll NEVER like Seinfeld, but I'm sold on The Office! :-)

Anonymous said...

Aw, I liked Season 2. All the Jim-Pam tension/denial was sweet.

But I do love Season 3. Have you seen Grief Counseling yet? (I think that was Season 3...) One of my favorites from that season :) Michael's description of the grief he was feeling is priceless. Something about his heart being kicked in the crotch and dropped into a bucket of boiling tears...