Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Lesson learned...

...again.

Life really does go on. And you can choose to sit, molding and petrifying on the sidelines, wrapped in the tattered shawl of the past, watching all those beautiful brave people out on the dance floor, enjoying themselves while you rot away in your misery...or you can leap right into the scary-as-hell fray and grab a little of the good stuff for yourself.

Case in point (not really what I'm talking about, but it's a good enough example): I fell on the ice today. I slipped on the second step on my front porch and bounced (really, I did) down the remaining three. I could've crawled right back into my house and stayed there until all the ice melted and the world was safe again, but I got up, laughed it off, brushed the ice off my butt, limped to my car and went back to work. I'm really sore. I'll be worse tomorrow. But the ice didn't win.

*I* am going to win this. I'm done with the sidelined, feeling-sorry-for-myself crap. Fear of the unknown is a lot better than living an empty life. Fear of the unknown is, actually, kind of exciting.

Game on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Fear of the unknown is a lot better than living an empty life." That is profound.

As for falling--I hope you heal quickly! I fell down the stairs (at home, inside) a couple of weeks ago, and it hurt! The bruises healed quickly enough, but a day or two later I got this neck pain/stiffness that was a little worrisome. It went away, too (just in time for me to get hit with a lovely winter illness), but it was unexpected and uncomfortable. Good for you for dusting off your butt and going to work :) Sitting at my desk for 8 hours after my fall was the worst. So anyway, a speedy recovery to you!

beetlebabee said...

ha, that was a good description. You have a great way with words. Thanks.