Wednesday, July 11, 2007

God's Katrina Kitchen update...

I've copied this from their website. Please keep the GKK staff in your prayers as they make decisions regarding the upcoming move. If you know me very well, you know that GKK is dear to my heart--given the opportunity, I would pack my bags and move there in a heartbeat...there's truly nowhere else in the world I would rather be at this moment in time. The full-time staff as well as the short-term volunteers are the hands and feet of Jesus to the still-hurting Gulf Coast residents...the media may have forgotten them, but God has NOT forgotten.

God's Katrina Kitchen is... MOVING!!!

At the July 2nd, Gulfport City Council meeting, GKK was denied our request for a one-year extension on our current site. The property owners willingly offered an extension our our lease, as they have claim to have no immediate plans for redevelopement of the property, but our operation here on the site was denied. The courtroom was packed, many supporters of GKK, yet the city council members voted to not extend our temporary operation here.

At this time, we are seeking another nearby site, as there are many citizens who are still needing our services. According to recent reports, over 30,000 families still remain in FEMA trailers. Without the faith-based organizations, many say they "would not know what to do."
As God impresses upon the hearts of people from all over to come to the Gulf Coast to volunteer and assist their fellow citizens, we will do all we can to continue to house and feed them. We believe God will provide a new location.

Please agree with us . We pray that God will direct us to the location He has for us. We pray for favor and ease in approval for operating on the new site. We pray for provisions for the move, both in finances to cover the move and infastructure for the camp, as well as the volunteers to make the move possible.

We are looking forward to the awesome praise report of how God works through this situation!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"given the opportunity, I would pack my bags and move there in a heartbeat...there's truly nowhere else in the world I would rather be at this moment in time."

so what keeps you from it?

Dena G said...

Ummm...sheer terror? Little faith in my ability to correctly hear the voice of God? Small confidence in the "confirmations" all around me that I've asked God to provide?

I'm spineless, Jon. I've relied so long on the "things of man" (money, so-called "security", my stuff, etc.) that I'm afraid to let go of it all, no matter what my heart says.

I THINK things are changing, though...I sense change in my heart--a reorganization of priorities, a letting-go of things not-so-important (things in general).

I'm not sure the time is right yet, but it's coming. Soon, I hope. :-)