Monday, July 23, 2007

What I'm learning...

People are beautiful. And ugly. And beautiful and ugly at the same time, all rolled into one big, sometimes indecipherable ball. We're attracted to the beautiful parts, but when we start building relationships--real community with others--we have to make the choice, somewhere, that we're going to accept the ugly along with the beautiful and learn to deal with it. Or not.

There's a price to pay, either way. I was reminded of that again this week. As you dig deeper in in any type of relationship, as the "newness" wears off, as you start to see people for who they really are when they're being real, you're just bound to run smack into something ugly that you don't really like all that much. And then you're faced with the choice: do I walk away and keep myself insulated from the "junk" or do I dive in and embrace the ugliness, knowing there's more beauty on the other side?

I'm diving.

And I hope others, when faced with the ugliness buried beneath my smile, make that same choice with me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I needed this, D. Thanks for sharing and challenging. I've been way too insulated lately, and I'm choosing to dive in again.