Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Fried Chicken...I KNOW him!!!

OMG.

I may have to post the actual "news article" that was posted on our agency website today. After 18 years, I'm still in shock when I encounter people who are so stupid, they can't even manage to use correct grammar/spelling/punctuation/capitalization when they're writing something that will be sent to every employee in the agency and/or posted on the website.

I find it difficult to believe that so many people lack basic intelligence and simple grammatical skills--especially people who work in an agency in which most positions require a college degree. Maybe their degrees are in basketweaving...? Obviously nothing that required an English class. Or nothing that required staying away during an English class. (And I still haven't recovered from our agency director's interest being "peeked" awhile back.)

Until I have the actual article in front of me, here are the basics:

A Lady came to a local office for services. The Lady got sick while she was waiting for her son to pick her up, because she has Diabetes. The office administrator gave the Lady some Fried Chicken from a Potluck the staff was having that day.

PRINCESS BRIDE meets ELF:

"Hey, Lady, Fried Chicken is going to be here today."

"Fried Chicken?!! I KNOW him!!!"

Your tax dollars at work, ladies and gentlemen.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! My hubby is guilty of the Randomly Capitalized Words epidemic. I tend to err on the side of no caps at all in informal communication (maybe because I spend a ridiculous amount of mental energy at work deciding whether or not stuff gets capped, so when I'm on my own time, I hate the shift key).

Also: Who is this "Lady," and why does she get to be a proper noun? Is this a royal title? Is she a goddess? I must meet her.

Nate said...

A little shaky here on understanding, so I will ask my questions, as usual. First, where do you work? Then, was the guy that gave the chicken out named fried chicken? Where was fried chicken going?

Nate said...

PS 42% of debt gone, way to go.

Dena G said...

Nate: Thanks. :-) I appreciate the cheerleading!

Ok, answers...I work for the IL Dept of Human Services. Welfare.

When I read the newsletter piece and saw "Lady" capitalized EVERY time, all I could think of was the way Fezzik called Buttercup "Lady" in The Princess Bride. And then when I got to the part about the office staff feeding her "Fried Chicken", as if it was a brand name (or a person's name), I totally lost it.

For whatever reason, I had a mental picture of Will Ferrell, dressed as Buddy the Elf, standing in Gimbel's, jumping up and down with glee and telling everyone "Santa Claus...I KNOW him!!" when he hears that "Santa" will be there to visit children the next day.

What can I say? I was overcome by all the damned capital letters. I had a (momentary, of course) lapse into delirium. ;-) It's difficult to explain delirium to a sane person... :-)

Erin: Ah...she MUST be of royal blood! Royalty would be worthy of PROPER Fried Chicken. The rest of us get the improper stuff.

Amy said...

Too Funny.

Nate said...

Now I get it. My kids watch Elf all the time during the christmas season.