Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Knit one, purl two...

...or something like that.

I am mastering the art of casting on. I really want to learn to knit. I made a half-hearted attempt last winter, but never really got further than having 3 people show me how to cast on and making a few knotty, messy attempts. So I gave up.

But I still want to learn. So, I found a website tonight and got out the lovely fuschia knitting needles and tried again. It actually doesn't look too bad, considering it's my real first attempt.

Maybe tomorrow I'll try the purl thing.

And someday...someday, I'll have my very own hand-knitted blanket.

3 comments:

Geoff said...

For a long time, and with little success, I've been looking for a good, constructive hobby to serve as a diversion from the stresses of life. Maybe I should take up knitting! Whenever I am frustrated and mad or defeated and sad (or whatever other wide range of emotions I tend to cycle through in a given day) I could just whip out the old knitting needles and start whipping up some baby booties or a cute little handbag. Of course, the process of learning to knit might be just enough on a bad day to push me over the edge...and having long, semi-sharp needles might not be ideal in times like that. Maybe I should keep looking...

Anonymous said...

Way to go, D! :)

I think purling is hard. I still have not gotten the hang of it. Try just regular knitting until you get the hang of that (that's my advice, anyway). Have you ever crocheted? I think it's harder to learn than knitting, but once you get the hang of it, it's much faster. I've crocheted blankets, but I don't know that I'd ever have the patience to knit a blanket.

Dena G said...

Oh, Geoff. I LOVE the mental picture. I truly do. That's going to put a smile on my face for some time to come. Of course, it also reminds me of the opening scene of "The Happening" which does NOT put a smile on my face. Note to self: Concentrate on thinking about Geoff knitting baby booties. ;-)

Erin, I wouldn't know a purl if it bit me in the...arm. Yeah, that's it. Arm. ;-)

I've been crocheting since I was about five years old. My Gram taught me when I was old enough to hold a hook without stabbing someone. It's something I can pretty much do with my eyes closed...or at least with my eyes on the tv or a book. I do pretty much basic stuff--single, double, etc...nothing fancy, but it gets blankets and scarves made.