Thursday, February 16, 2006

The book challenge thing...

I've taken the challenge...

I've gotten out of the habit of reading as prolifically as I once did and I want to find my way back to, at least, a "middle ground"...where I might not spend ALL my free time with my nose in a book, but at least not all my time with my eyes glued to the computer screen. Since I don't have cable, you'd think I would read more, but then there's NetFlix and all the movies I've missed the past few years because I absolutely loathe going to a theater to see a movie by myself.

So, I'm reading. Here's what I've read so far this year:

1) A Salty Piece of Land by Jimmy Buffett. I didn't know he was an author until I received this book as a gift (thanks, Becky M.) It was actually pretty good--entertaining to say the least.

2) Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis. I LOVE the Space Trilogy...some of the best books I've ever read. This is the first book in the trilogy. Not as good as Perelandra (what is?), but good nonetheless.

3) Dream Big by Lisa Hammond. She started the mail-order company Femail Creations (one of my favorite e-places to shop!) and this is the story of how she achieved her dream...a good "pep talk" book for anyone who dreams of starting their own business someday.

4) Chasing Daylight by Eugene O'Kelley. He was the CEO of KPMG, one of the "big 5" accounting firms. He was diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer in May 2005 and died in September. This is the story of his death...how he literally spent the last five months of his life living like he was dying (something we should all be doing, eh?) He made the most of every day, met with all the friends and family he could in order to say goodbye while he was still able, and spent time doing what he loved with the people he loved. He wrote all but the last chapter of the book himself--his wife wrote the final chapter after his death.

5) The Dream Giver by Bruce Wilkinson. (I seem to be reading a lot about dreams lately!) I'm not a Wilkinson fan, because...well, for a variety of reasons which really have nothing to do with this book or the list, so I won't even start, but this wasn't too bad for a "five simple steps to put God in a box and make Him make you successful" kind of book (oops, I said I wouldn't even start, didn't I?! Sorry...) I don't think this book will change my life in any way, but it had a nice little "parable" attached to it and it was on sale, so I didn't lose much.

Currently reading (I'm a multi-tasker even when it comes to reading...):
6) Scale Down by Danna Demetre.
7) Searching for God Knows What by Donald Miller (the man who laughed when I proposed to him...what kind of reaction is THAT to a marriage proposal?!!) ;-)
8) The Journey of Desire by John Eldridge.

I may not make it to 50, but I'm going to make an effort.

7 comments:

Jules said...

I just had a look at your bookcase...I think you'll make it to 50! I want the Lisa Hammond book to borrow, though!

Erin said...

You've read all of those this year? As in, since January 1st? Holy cow, woman! I'm in a book club and that's gotten me reading books I wouldn't have chosen on my own (which is good for me), but you've definitely got me when it comes to volume!

Bruce Wilkinson...yes, I feel the same way about him. You showed tremendous restraint :)

Dena G said...

Well, I actually STARTED the Buffett book before Jan 1st, but I finished it this year, so I'm counting it.

I've had some airport/airplane time since the first of the year--that's when I do a lot of my reading. I'm not big on socializing with strangers, so I pull out my book as soon as I get in my seat on the plane!

Erin said...

Okay, well I guess that's not technically cheating...

btw, I loath Maxwell House, but it's the free coffee in the kitchen at work. Desperate, coffeeless mornings call for desperate measures.

btw....told you you'd be addicted ;)

Jules said...

well, now I might actually have a challenger on the volume of books read so far...I've still got you by a little, though! Anyway, I guess I don't know the difference between Maxwell House and other coffees...mainly 'cause I don't drink it enough probably, but anyway does it just taste bad?

Erin said...

Like battery acid.

Herschel said...

im glad im not the only person in fairfield to have read "out of the silent planet"