Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Quoting Andrew Peterson....

...one of my favorite things to do. :-)

Seems pretty appropriate, since several of us seem to be focused right now on the whole plowing and planting and weeding and harvesting process going on in our lives.

This is a great song all the way through, but...there's one line (you won't have any problem recognizing it!) that just speaks volumes to me and always has.


The bottom line is...weedy or not, in full-bloom or scraggly, bearing an abundant harvest or just a few dried-up pieces of fruit--His grace is STILL SUFFICIENT for me. His love covers a multitude of...well, weeds. And wormy fruit. Don't get me wrong...I want to lay abundance at His feet to honor what He's done to my heart, but it's still ME that he loves. Period.


JUST AS I AM--Andrew Peterson

What's that on the ground?
It's what's left of my heart
Somebody named Jesus
Broke it to pieces
And planted the shards

And they're coming up green
They're coming in bloom
I can hardly believe
This is all coming true

Just as I am and just as I was
Just as I will be He loves me, He does
He showed me the day that He shed His own blood
He loves me, oh, He loves me, He does

All of my life
I've held on to this fear
Its thistles and vines
Ensnare and entwine
What flowers appeared

It's the fear that I'll fall
One too many times
It's the fear that His love
Is no better than mine
(but He says that)
Just as I am and just as I was
Just as I will be He loves me, He does
He showed me the day that He shed His own blood
He loves me, oh, He loves me, He does
He loves me, oh, He loves me, He does

It's time now to harvest
What little that grew
This man they call Jesus
Who planted the seeds
Has come for the fruit

And the best that I've got
Isn't nearly enough
He's glad for the crop
But it's me that He loves


Just as I am and just as I was
Just as I will be He loves me, He does
The same as the day that He shed His own blood
He loves me, oh, He loves me, He does

5 comments:

Erin said...

What album is this song on? I couldn't find it on iTunes.

This is my favorite line:

It's the fear that I'll fall
One too many times
It's the fear that His love
Is no better than mine


Man, this hits me where it hurts. I forget that God is so very different from me. His love, especially. So very "other than." The realization of just how "other than" he really is...well, it just feels really good. It's like the "Oh...OH! NOW I see! How beautiful is THAT, and I've been missing it!?" I think I spend so much time looking inward that my view of God starts to look an awful lot like me and a lot less like reality. Thanks for the reality check :)

Dena G said...

It's on "Carried Along". It's hard to pick favorites with Andy's stuff, but this is music that I just keep coming back to over and over. Seems like it's a little easier to speak (sing) un-sugarcoated truth when you're not signed to a label.

Erin said...

I own Carried Along, and it's not on my copy. (I've got All the Way Home, The Chasing Song, Faith to be Strong, Nothing to Say, Love Enough, The Coral Castle, Shiloh, Come Lord Jesus, Rise and Shine, and The Ninety and Nine)

Do you have a super special copy?

Dena G said...

My brain has apparently left my body. ;-) It is NOT on "Carried Along"...I was thinking about "Come Lord Jesus" because I was discussing it on another friend's blog.

It's on Love and Thunder.

Erin said...

Well, bummer. That's not available on iTunes. :(