Saturday, August 25, 2007

The big purple pie...

So, in the spirit of all things transparent, I've taken a deep breath and decided to (actually quite literally!) put my money (or lack thereof) where my mouth is.

I'm committed to being out of debt (and by "out of debt", I mean completely--including no house or car payment) by the end of next year. Doable? Yes. Tough? YES. But committed I am...and now that I've posted it for the world to read, I have even more of a reason to stick to it--I would hate to have to admit failure to the entire world!

So...you're all invited to keep watch as I slice away at that purple pie. Right now, I'm pretty excited. Check back with me in a few months...we'll see how I feel about it then. I put myself on a strict, but not stupidly so, budget a couple of months ago and it's amazing how much progress I've made already. I don't really mind my new way of life...living with less makes me value more what I DO have. And makes me look forward with great anticipation to what I WILL have someday (financial freedom).

8 comments:

Nate said...

Thanks for the pie chart. My favorite flavor too.

Herschel said...

i dont know if you have seen ongbrakes newest post, but it mentions a band, the cobalt season. they are pretty awesome. you would enjoy.

Geoff said...

What a great plan. I look forward to the day when we have no more house payments to make!

Anyway, I really just got on here to drop you a note and say that you are a really hard person to get in touch with! I looked your number up online and have tried to call you several times now, but all I here is "ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring" until I hang up. :( Just know I'm thinking about you. Feel free to give me a call sometime if you want--(812)480-8985.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! Go, Dena--you can do it!

I would hate to have to admit failure to the entire world!

This made me laugh a little to myself. Admitting failure is one of the things I hate the most, but it can be really good for you, too.

But of course, I'm rooting for you not to fail :)

Dena G said...

Hersch--that is SO funny. I've been listening to them for the past two days. I told Julie today there was a new band I thought she'd like and she told me you'd already told her about them...we seem to have similarly great tastes in music, don't we?!

Geoff--I'll email you my cell #. My landline's been unplugged for about 2 months. The quandary still exists--we should talk. :-) I'm leaving for MS Friday...maybe when I get back?

Erin--if I fail, I fail (although I'm rooting for me to not fail as well!) :-) At least I have the world to hold me accountable to working toward my goal. It's a lot easier to pretend it isn't "out there" if I don't tell other people about it.

Herschel said...

we do have similar tastes indeed. good stuff. id say we have the best tastes of our group ;)

Julie said...

Go Dena, go dena. a Big BOO-YEAH goes out to ya soul sista'!

Jerry said...

Must be nice! Good luck.