Friday, November 30, 2007

Random quote from a random blog...

I suppose the blogger may not think his blog is all that "random"...maybe I should say "random quote from a randomly discovered blog". There. That feels better. Even though I have an uneasy feeling that may not be grammatically correct, or maybe it's just awkward, but it's late and I'm tired and really don't care. Except that it sounds weird. Anyway...this is from http://www.goodwordediting.com/ . The writer is the editor of Faith in the Workplace magazine. This is about his 3 year-old son. I laughed. Maybe you will, too.

Last night before we took the Christmas pictures, during our dinner prayer, my son acted like a three-year-old.

That’s okay, I guess. He is three after all. But here’s what that looks like during a prayer.
We all hold hands around the table, my wife, my daughter, me, and my son, in that order. We bow our heads. I usually pray:

Me: Dear God, thank you for this day and this food.
[At the mention of food, Lyle plants his nose in the mashed potatoes and makes a hog noise: “churff, churff, churff.” I try to ignore these noises.]

Me: Thank you for Mommy and the hard work she does every day. Especially thank you right now for the food that she prepared.
[Lyle lifts his head and looks at me. I know this because I can’t pray with my eyes closed at dinner for fear that something horrible will end up on the rug or the ceiling. Lyle has mashed potatoes on his chin like a beard. He laughs about this.]

Me: Thank you for CJ… and, um, Lyle. I pray that you will fill them with your Spirit and help them to glorify you in all that they do.
[That’s my standard prayer for the family. All of life is ministry. It’s an important thought to me. To Lyle, not so much. He blows a loud raspberry, and I can feel bits of mashed potato spittle land on my arm.]

Me: Please help us to stay healthy and strong.
[Lyle let’s go of my wife’s hand and sticks his finger in the mashed potatoes. His finger works fairly well as a utensil. Unfortunately, I know where that finger has been.]

Me: Um. Um. Um.
Amy: In Jesus’ name, Amen.
[Lyle says an enthusiastic “Amen” and sticks the potato covered finger in his mouth.]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was cute :)

And I think you're fine, grammatically. Just don't hyphenate "randomly discovered." :)

Dena G said...

You should be proud of me--I remembered that lesson from the last time, o grammar queen!! ;-)