Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Advent Conspiracy...

Hmm. THIS is an interesting way of looking at the insanity that's become the "holiday shopping season". People sometimes look at me like I have little green men sprouting out of the top of my head when I talk about Christmas spun out of control--it's beyond my comprehension that people (like me) give such wildly extravagant gifts with reckless abandon in the guise of celebrating Jesus. Anyway...check out the website if you're interested in learning more.

ADVENT CONSPIRACY

When Christ was born the empire was threatened and as a result Herod, who was one of the more powerful kings of the day, ordered the killing of all the boys two years old and under who were in Bethlehem. The reason for this was that he hoped to take out the child-King that posed a threat to his kingdom.

While we are not living under Herod’s reign, there is another empire of consumerism and materialism that threatens our faithfulness to Jesus. Jesus brought with him such an extraordinary Kingdom that is counter-culture to the kingdoms of this world.

Part of saying “yes” to Jesus means that we say “no” to over-spending. We say “no” to overconsumption. We say “no” to these things so we can create space to say “yes” to Jesus and His reign in our lives. The National Retail Federation was forecasting that Americans would spend approximately $457.4 billion at Christmas in 2006. The American Research group estimated an average of $907.00 per family to be spent at Christmas in 2006. After the Holiday we work for months to get out of debt, only to find that the presents we bought in the name of Christ furthered a consumerist mentality in us and our children and took our focus off of the greatness of Jesus. As Christ-followers, the Advent Conspiracy starts with us resisting a culture that tells us what to buy, wear and spend with no regard to bringing glory to Jesus.

6 comments:

Nate said...

Yep. I have thought about this before. But how cruel would it be for your chidren to celbrate the same holiday as everyone else, but not get any presents, like everyone else?

Mostly they just don't understand.

Jerry said...

The whole "Christmas has spun out of control" feeling has been around for decades. See the classic 1940's movie "Miracle on 34th Street" for some sharp commentary on this, or even the 50 year old book "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas".

Dena G said...

But don't you think it's even worse now than it was decades ago?

I know people who max out their credit cards at Christmas to buy computers and XBoxes and PS-whatever-the-latest-# for their kids and iPods and jewelry and plasma TVs, just because they think that's what Christmas is all about. Maybe they didn't go to that extent decades ago just because the huge lines of credit weren't available back then, though...

(I love the Grinch story, btw...and I especially like the "Where Are You, Christmas?" song from the movie. I'll probably post those lyrics next!)

And Nate, I'm not advocating "no presents", if that's what it sounds like. I just believe that sometimes we throw money (that maybe we don't have) at a situation instead of investing our time/talents/thoughts. I would never suggest giving your child nothing! :-)

There were years, back when I was married and had teenagers in my home, that I spent money wildly and lavishly because it was my way of trying to make up for the damage being done to people I loved. I wish now that I'd done things differently...that I'd invested less money and more time.

I'm doing things differently this year--most of my family and other loved ones are getting handmade scarves and a couple of other gifts that may not have a lot of monetary value, but (I think) will mean something to them, because I've not just dashed out to WalMart and filled up the shopping cart with meaningless shit, but have taken time instead to think about each person and what's important to them.

One of my friends is buying gifts for a child on an "Angel Tree" as my gift this year--she knows my heart (and knows I really "need" nothing)...THAT has real meaning for me.

Taking a breath...I think I'm done. Maybe. ;-)

Anonymous said...

There were years, back when I was married and had teenagers in my home, that I spent money wildly and lavishly because it was my way of trying to make up for the damage being done to people I loved. I wish now that I'd done things differently...that I'd invested less money and more time.

This strikes a chord with me. With some of the recent family crap I'm experiencing, I'm realizing that I've been doing this with my own family for years. Not "lavishly" by American standards (but maybe by their standards), but certainly as a way of trying to meet their needs or wants in a way I couldn't before, and in a way that didn't require my heart to get involved. I love them, but it's safer to stay at an arms-length. I'm grateful for the recent painful circumstances that have opened my eyes to this. I'm letting my heart engage again, and the gifts are taking a backseat.

Anonymous said...

it's different for me. i don't need the "holiday season" as an excuse or an obligation to buy someone presents, even to show them how much i love them. as one whose primary love language is gift giving, i think holidays of obligation make a mockery of the true spirit of gift giving, but that's another negative rant for another time.

this is a positive rant.

i love giving people gifts just to see them light up. this year, no one is getting anything purchased from me. this year i am making cd mixes for people. (nate, i have one for sherri. hopefully little bro can bring it back with him.) which are "things purchased" at one time or another (songs, blank cds) but not a huge cost. and, if made properly, a great mix cd can bring joy for years to come.

i look at gifts as being the fruit of a desire for another person. to bless them with joy and love, as an extention of an already existing relationship ("i knew you would love this!") instead of using the gift to replace a damaged or nonexistant relationship. ("i hope this makes you like me!")

but then, i had a thought a few weeks ago that helped bring things into focus for me. there are two things going on at this time of year. one is called "christmas." the other is called "holiday."

christmas has this feel and spirit to it that just makes me want to bless people simply for the sake of blessing them. because that is what i would have others do unto me.

holiday is a season of guilt purchases of obligation to try to make up for yet another year of inadequate relationship. or to simply hold off a person's anger at not being bought for. and it usually leaves both them and me feeling empty the very next day and the whole next year until the time comes again to buy the next flashy thing that will ultimately not fill the void.

okay. so i ranted about it anyway. it's a 2-for-1 comment!

may joy be everyone's in abundance this year.

Dena G said...

Amen, Jon.

I'm a gift-giver as well. Within the right context, it's a beautiful thing to give and bless.

God gave (and continues to give) abundantly to us--out of his perfect knowledge of our hearts and our needs. I want my giving to echo that spirit of love and blessing and knowledge of the recipient's heart--and not be some cheap Dollar Store/WalMart bauble that does nothing but placate my need to give/need to be loved/need to...whatever.

I want to be a "Christmas giver"--thanks, Jon...I like that.