Saturday, January 27, 2007

Being sick sucks...

...and being sick on a Saturday especially sucks. Most of the people in my office have been sick this week and half of them ended up going home early one day or another. My day to get sick, of course, was Friday and I had so much to do, I simply refused to give up and leave early, even though I felt HORRIBLE. I stuck it out--and paid the price today. I have spent the entire day, minus a few times of getting up to refill my coffee cup, take some ibuprofen, go to the bathroom, and scrounge for food (I made wise use of my time and multi-tasked every time!), lying on the couch, barely able to breathe, head pounding, muscles aching--all that lovely stuff that comes with a really bad cold. All I can say is "thank God for NetFlix and my couch". And my mom and her potato soup. :-)

I'm feeling better. I usually get sick once a year and I'm claiming this as my "one time" and not feeling too disturbed over it. But...it really annoys me that I had to waste a Saturday, when I could have taken a sick day during the week and still had Saturday to enjoy. I had a list of things I needed to get done today (vacuum up cat hair, do my laundry, pay bills, etc.) and I just couldn't manage to do any of it. I DID, however, manage to catch up on my blog reading, so I guess there's always a silver lining, eh?!

And, of course, I'm irritated for feeling sorry for myself--if all I have is a little cold, I am truly blessed. I have friends right now who are facing serious stuff--some of them are dealing with life-threatening illnesses...and here I am griping about a snotty nose. I got some much-needed rest today and I'm just going to try to be grateful for that and forget about the feeling sorry for myself junk. A hot shower and fresh jammies have worked wonders...and my fever is gone, so it's been a good day!

5 comments:

Dorothy said...

well thank God you have jammie pants that fit!
Being sick is never fun but it happens, eh?

Dena G said...

It does, indeed. Rarely for me, so I'm a whiner when it happens.

I went to the doctor today and got some big old pink horsepills (when I say "big", I DO mean BIG!!) I thought I was feeling better, but I've decided I was wrong. So, now I'm on drugs, trying to stay warm, and aching all over.

I'm on a deadline here--I will NOT still be sick when my vacation starts! So, I guess I'll listen to the doctor and take my meds and get a lot of rest. Bleahhh.

NFB in NYC said...

It's Wednesday..how are you feeling?

I have my voice back luckily. However my head still weighs 40 lbs and I have a river of snot flowing from my nose that would put the mighty Mississippi to shame. I cant even feel my nose anymore its so raw.

Thankfully, this usually means I'm at the end of my sickness. Hopefully it doesn't come back. This is the 2nd bad cold I have had since Christmas. I'm not happy.

Dena G said...

Sounds like your river rivals mine!

I'm better--I actually feel pretty good, but I'm still pretty congested and coughing a lot. My nose is well on the road to recovery. My hearing isn't back to "normal" yet, but at least I don't feel like I'm trying hear while underwater.

I've pretty much remained planted on my couch every evening this week. I DID go to church tonight, but came straight home and hit the couch--I can't believe how tired I was just from standing up for an hour.

This is it for me...as soon as I get done with these horse-pills, I'm hitting the probiotics in mega-doses and I'm not getting sick again this year.

NFB in NYC said...

Hah. Yeah, my mom gave me these packets of Emergen-C. 1000mg of Vitamin C that you dissolve in water. I'm taking those daily now to try to bulk up my immune system :)

Enjoying the snow?