Saturday, January 06, 2007

"I have a brain cloud"...

If you're a Joe Vs. the Volcano fan, you'll recognize that line. You should, anyway. It's the disease that Joe is "diagnosed" with that makes him throw all caution to the wind and go live his life with reckless abandon.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the type of brain cloud I'm blessed with at the moment. I honestly feel like there's a dense blanket of fog in my head and it's preventing me from thinking as "clearily" (one of my favorite recently-created words) as I should. I told a friend the other night that I feel like I'm right on the edge of truly "getting" something really big and life-changing, but I just can't quite seem to step into it. It's like it's waiting for me around a corner, but I haven't gotten to the corner yet. And, on top of that, I'm just tired. Emotionally drained, actually, which, in turn, physically drains me...and adds to that fog in my head.

I'm not big on making "resolutions" for the new year and, really, not even all that much in favor of the whole big "to do" about New Year's Eve--I mean, it's one minute's difference on the clock, for heaven's sake! Did everything REALLY change all that much, just because a minute passed? Is there really that much to celebrate because we're now in 2007, instead of 2006? Is the world all different now, somehow washed clean and brand-new? (I think I'm going somewhere with this, but it's mostly just stream-of-consciousness rambling...)

I suppose there's not one of us who couldn't use a "new start" now and then, of course. I ended 2006 in a stupid flurry of hurting people dear to me--not intentionally at all, but my insensitivity, self-defensiveness, lack of faith and just plain obtuseness put me in prime position for wounding those I love. And I did a good job of it. So, I'd say a "new start" is a good idea for me. Not because the calendar has a new number on it, but just because I need to quit acting stupid. Every minute is precious...and an opportunity for a new start. Thank God for His grace...immeasurable gift it is, indeed.

Maybe that will lift some of the cloud, eh?

1 comment:

Erin said...

I love you. Every day is a good day for a fresh start. His mercies are new EVERY morning (not just January 1st) :)