Friday, January 26, 2007

"Lady in the Water"--a review of sorts...and other stuff

Well...I watched this movie tonight. I am a die-hard M. Night Shyamalan fan and somehow didn't really believe (no matter what I'd been told) that I should prepare to be disappointed by this film. Sometimes you should trust your friends. I was disappointed. Frankly, I hated the movie. The only thing that kept me watching to the end was the unrealized hope that somehow, somewhere, Mr. Shyamalan would redeem himself and show some brilliance. Bleahhhh.

However, I DID watch all the miscellaneous "special feature" stuff and was pleasantly surprised. The man truly IS a genius, even if I'm not catching the drift of his "geniusness" in this movie. Maybe it's just because I'm sick and there's too much...well, nasty stuff, clogging up my head right now for me to see past the surface into the murky waters (ha!) of this movie. I found it very interesting, however, to hear Shyamalan talk about the meaning behind the movie--again and again, he (and other cast/production members) emphasized that things (and people) are not always what they seem...you peg someone as what you think they are (their role in life, that is) and they turn out, in the end, to have a different role than what we expect.

That really caught my attention, because I've been thinking a lot lately about the life roles we (or even other people) put ourselves in...and the reasonings behind those reasons. Do we become what we think people expect us to become? Do we abandon the purposes for which we are created just because we're trying to "fit in" to society's expectations? Someone else's "script"? Someone told me yesterday that he's been living his entire life, trying to anticipate what other people expect him to be, so he can "become" that person when dealing with them, instead of being himself. He's tired of playing all the parts...and is just now getting a glimpse of who he "really" is--and his may not be a personality that will mesh with the masses, but if it's who God created him to be, what's more important?

And then I turn my eyes to myself. Am I being true to the heart God created in me? In some ways, yes, but in many ways, no. I wonder, almost on a daily basis, what's really important about staying in my job another 3 years just so I can have free insurance and a "full" (don't even get me started on that...) pension when I retire. The practical nature in me says it's "only" 3 years, but I'm not even guaranteed tomorrow.

I hope that, if God speaks specifically to me next week and tells me to quit my job and go to a far-flung (or even not so far-flung) mission field, I would hear and be obedient, but what if it's not even as "big" as that? What if one of my secrets is I would REALLY like to be an airline flight attendant? (Not so secret anymore, eh?!) What if that's truly part of the nature God created in me when He first breathed life and spirit in me? What if the servant's heart He put in me could best be served by handing out pretzels and Diet Coke on a plane flying over the fruited plains?

Hmmm.

7 comments:

Herschel said...

and most thought provoking post of the week goes to dena...

dang yo...

seriously....are we falling in line or doing what God has called us to do...yikes...

plus i hate to say it, but i didnt like Lady in the Water either....maybe a second viewing would help, but i doubt it....

but i think i can understand where your friend is coming from too...

good stuff---dang yo

Dorothy said...

I think most of us probably fall into the trap of doing/being whatever we think is expected of us and not what we are created to do/be.
I have pondered that very thing a great deal myself lately and I know that I have been a chameleon so long that I honestly don't know who I am.

It is a sad truth; one that I am trying hard to make my girls understand so that they will not buy into that.
I want them to be who they are.

I do not want them to settle for anything.

I have prayed frevently at times, "God, who am I? What I am really supposed to be doing"
Maybe some day we will figure it out, hopefully.
I thought you only had a year left to get your benefits locked in. Did I miss something?

Dena G said...

*I* missed something...and now, it's sounding like, in our next contract, they're probably going to bump it up to 25 years, so...

I weigh and re-weigh all the possibilities/permutations, all the while not even being sure that any of it's worth it. Who's to say where I'll be (or IF I'll be)when I'm 60 or 62 or 65 or whatever age they deem retirement-age at that time?

I just know that I have SO many expectations on me from so many different places (my mom, for example--typical statement: "You CAN'T move anywhere until we die, because there won't be anyone to take care of us!") How does that line up with Scripture? As Chad so often says, "Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!"

And I wonder, how did *I*, the George Bailey dreamer-of-far-off-places person in my family, get tagged as caregiver to my entire family till death do us part? I love my family, but I'm not sure THIS is part of the deal. My sister is admired and lauded for jetting off to business meetings in Chicago or wherever her current employer sends her, but lil ole smalltown HICK Dena had better stay right here on the farm and feed the damned chickens (or the cat).

This is truly not my life...and I feel it every day. I love this town, I love my family, I love my friends, I love my church, but I spend all my time trying to do/say/be what someone else wants me to and very little time being the real me...not that I'm even sure I have a clue who that is anymore.

I just know when and where (NOT one specific place/time) I feel the "stirring" way down deep...and it's not here.

Wow...that was some major venting, wasn't it?!!

Herschel said...

wow...i love your honesty...thanks..it is freeing

Dena G said...

I'm very disgruntled, Hersch...and I'm not sure if I'm more upset with those who would shackle me to something that isn't me, simply for their own purposes, or with myself for allowing it--probably the latter. I think this lamb is just about finished with being silent before her slaughterers (and it's entirely possible that I'm the one holding the biggest butcher knife).

I just really need to hear God's voice, plainly and clearly, in the midst of this mess. This is about so much more than my chosen career or where I'll live...it's taking a swipe at the very nature of ME--the "me" that I'm not sure I recognize anymore, but desperately want to rediscover.

Anonymous said...

DENA!!!!!!!!!!


if you're interested in a conversation and counsel on being your true self... away from prying eyes... jonjperes@hotmail.com. use it whenever you feel lead, if at all.

peace be with you. and wisdom. father, you hear your daughter's heart screaming. pour your salve on it. breathe life and give a healthy dose of your patience.

don't worry dena. your deliverer is coming. and whether it be true that you need to change your perspective, or if it's true that you need to change your circumstance and stay who you are, i pray you would have eyes to see and ears to hear. what the spirit is saying to her bride. please father. for your glory.

Dena G said...

Thanks, Jon. :-)