Thursday, June 21, 2007

Fire in The Simple Way Community

A seven-alarm fire at an abandoned warehouse in Philadelphia destroyed The Simple Way's community center yesterday morning and left at least eight families without homes.

The Simple Way is home to Shane Claiborne, author of "The Irresistible Revolution", the book we're currently studying in our Sunday night small group--the book that is totally kicking my butt because I'm not living out many of the things I believe are true and right and good. Shane and a housemate lost all of their belongings and The Simple Way lost the building that housed their community arts center, an after-school program and a t-shirt printing business.

I'm heartsick over this--I said this morning I feel like this is someone in my family...which, I guess, really is accurate. Shane Claiborne has had a huge impact on the way I look at life in general and the body of Christ and community specifically.

Tony Campolo's ministry has set up a page on his website if anyone wants to donate to either The Simple Way's rebuilding fund or a separate fund to help the eight families who are now homeless.

Here's a video of some shots of this horrible fire....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D8Ai-O-LcU

No comments: