Saturday, June 23, 2007

Sometimes you get what you don't expect...

And sometimes that's a really good thing.

We had a seminar at our church this morning on coping with crises. Many of the women who attended have lost spouses or children--the speaker has lived through the deaths of 3 children and her first husband...and she was raped by a murderer while she was on the mission field in China. Makes all of my little tragedies seem not quite so tragic.

Needless to say, it was good stuff. I have much to ponder, much to sort and process...and maybe I'll post some of it after I get it all sorted out. One sentence, in particular, stuck with me--it was one of those "aha!" moments where I knew God was nudging me to sit up and pay attention. She was talking about when she and her husband first decided to get involved in missions work and their church (he was a pastor and had already been diagnosed with cancer at this time) was trying to get them to remain in the pastorate by telling him that they would make sure his wife and children would be cared for and he would have health insurance...that there would be "security" for them in staying at the church. She said "there is NO security in anything if it's not in the will of God".

Hmmm. And what does that mean in my particular situation...??? When I have the answer, I'll share it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude! What was the woman's name? Did it start with a V? I think I might have heard her speak before. If it wasn't her, it was someone with a remarkably similar story (right down to the specifics).

There's something so eye-opening about hearing God's perspective from someone who has been through serious shit. It makes God's goodness and the promise of his comfort so much more real. Very cool.

Dena G said...

Valetta Steel Crumley. :-) Now THAT is totally cool!

I've heard her story for years because it had such a profound effect on my friend Penny--her older sisters were friends with the two kids that were killed in the car accident. Pen's always used her as a shining example of someone who not only survived deep tragedy but rose above it with an amazing ability to still say "God is SO good". I'm so glad I finally got to meet her.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's her! I remember because she told a story about discovering that her name Valetta means "valley" (which was funny, sort of, since she's been through so many "valleys" in her life).

Shannon said...

Dena-
I'm Erin's friend, and I just wanted to tell you that I appreciate the heart I read in your words. I'm going through some disappointment right now and when I woke up this morning feeling down, I was trying to think of where I could find some perspective. We are strangers to each other, but you came to mind and I felt sure I could find something good and grounding in your words.

I guess I just wanted you to know that God speaks through his people even when they don't know there might be a stranger lurking around. Thanks.

hugs from a stranger!

Dena G said...

Thanks, Shannon. :-)

Erin-connected "lurkers" are ALWAYS welcome in my little corner of Blogworld--you're not a stranger.

I read your blog occasionally (I'm a lurker, too) and I've walked the road you're on--I don't know your details, but much of what you've said recently resonates with me.