Monday, March 06, 2006

Rekindling an old "flame"...

Some of you know that I used to play the violin. Well, I used to take lessons and ATTEMPT to play the violin, anyway. I quit taking lessons a couple of years ago, partly for financial reasons, but mainly because I just had to walk away from some of the things in my past and start some new things just to maintain my sanity--there were days that the "ghosts" living in my house seemed all-too-real and what better to drag up an old ghost than a haunting violin melody?

So...every once in awhile, I would drag out my violin and look at it, but I had damaged the bow and didn't have a tuner, so I couldn't have played it even if I had wanted to. My violin is beautiful--it's about 100 years old and has a gorgeous tone when played by someone who knows what they're doing.

A few months, the desire to gaze at my violin started being replaced by the desire to actually PLAY it again. I bought a new bow and a tuner, but I was still hesitant. What if I had completely forgotten everything I had learned? What if all I could manage was a few screechy noises? What if I stirred up some of those old sleeping ghosts and had to slog through some of the mostly-forgotten junk again?

Yesterday, I did it--I took a deep breath, tuned my violin, picked up my new bow and...managed to squeak out a couple of old hymns from memory. I was encouraged! I found some other hymns online, downloaded and printed them and went to work learning a couple of new songs. Now, we're not talking ready-for-the-symphony kind of playing here, but I WAS playing and I COULD recognize the songs! It was very encouraging. Tonight, when I got home, I couldn't wait to pick up my violin again and do some practicing.

I think the Lord is using this little "object lesson" to gently nudge me and remind me that there are OTHER areas in my life in which I've taken a few steps backwards out of fear of...whatever--various and sundry things. I'm reminded of that story/song about the touch of the Master's hand, though--I want to be the violin in His hands. I hope as I grow older, my character will deepen and my tone will grow richer...and that I'll be a willing instrument in His hands. I may wear some scars and dents, but they don't render me useless. It's time to sweep off the cobwebs, drag out the polishing cloth, tune up the strings, place myself in His hands and get on with the business of playing the melody He's composed just for me. I may screech now and then, but it's better than remaining silent...and, with practice, my song might just become sweeter.

2 comments:

Dena G said...

Thanks! :-) And I need the encouragement...I appreciate the compliment.

Jules said...

um...good stuff. The touch of the master's hand is one of my favorite old songs!